Old January 7th 04, 11:38 AM
Kevin Horton

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 04:49:20 +0000, Louis Gallego wrote:

Does anyone know how one would install two separate airspeed indicators?
I suspect one would need a separate pitot tube systems. Is this correct?
Also, how does one go about correcting an error (either too fast or slow)
in the indicator. I'm 2/3 done with the fuselage of my Zenith Zodiac
601XL and was just thinking ahead.
Thanks in advance,

Louis G.

You could feed as many ASIs from one pitot and static source as you want.
But the more ASIs you have, the more chances you have for a leak, and the
more lag you will have in the indication due to the increased volume of
the system. But two ASIs from one pitot tube shouldn't be a problem.

Errors in indicated airspeed can have many sources:

instrument error,
leaks in pitot or static systems,
position error in static system (present on every aircraft to some degree),
position error in pitot system (negligible unless you have chosen a very
poor location for the pitot tube).

I've got a web page that explains how to check ASI instrument error with a
water manometer and how to do flight testing to determine the airspeed
error and translate that into static source position error and thus know
the error in the altimeter that results.

http://go.phpwebhosting.com/~khorton...out.php?&ID=31

My Flight Test Links section has a bunch of stuff that might be useful to
you. The Pitot/Static section is at:

http://go.phpwebhosting.com/~khorton...ex.php?&PID=47

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)