Old November 22nd 05, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.restoration

Default Why were almost all of them scrapped?

Many of the higher performance military machines had construction or
flight characteristics that were not acceptable in a civilian
environment. An example of this was the de Havilland Mosquito, which had
a 'dead man's gap' - an engine failure just after lift-off and before
the aircraft attained a certain speed just could not be controlled, and
would always result in an uncontrollable roll towards the dead engine
and a crash.
Peter

I flew some multis in service but haven't flown them since (too
expensive!). But it's my impression that students are taught to
quickly cut the good engine and land straight ahead.

Wouldn't that work with a Mosquito?

(I realize that landing a plywood box straight ahead at around 100
knots might not be the most pleasant thing to contemplate.)

vince norris