Old October 25th 04, 08:07 PM
C Kingsbury

"Roger Long" wrote in message
OK troll, I'll bite.

I'm only aware of one rigorous study ever performed to determine the
relative aptitude and safety of men vs women pilots as a group.

There was an NTSB study within the past four years that looked at this
question. I'm going on memory here, but the aggregate accident rates were
not different in a statistically significant way. But there was a suggestion
that the causes of accidents were somewhat different across the two groups.
Women, it seemed, were more likely to be involved in accidents owing to
mishandling the aircraft, while men were more likely to make serious
judgment errors.

A female friend of mine commented on it thusly: "So what they're saying is
women are more likely to be incompetent, while men are just plain stupid."

I thought that summed it up pretty well.

-cwk.