Old April 6th 05, 10:32 AM
Brian Sharrock

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ken

What did they call the Royal Navy's Harrier Carriers? I thought it was
V/STOL. (Vertical or Short Take Off and Landing.)

IIRC,'they' called them 'Invincible'(R05), 'Illustrious'(R06)
and 'Ark Royal'(R07).
Actually, they've been utilised for STO and VL evolutions of
the embarked Harriers; that is Short (Rolling) Take-off (that's
the purpose of the 'ski-jump') while Verical Landings are most
expeditious for the pilots and maintainers/armourers.
The Harriers, of various Mk's, from FRS1 to GR7, are VSTOL
while I believe the ships themselves are classified by the Navy
as 'CVS.

--

Brian