Old March 17th 17, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Discus B aileron sealing

On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:53:31 UTC+2, Kurt wrote:
I have a Discus B with the mylar seals on the bottom of the ailerons. When I bought the ship, it had tape on the top gap, which bows up depending on the deflection of the surface. I re-read Dick Johnson's flight test and it appears that the tape could be eliminated. He sealed the push rods at the wing root. So, the question is, does the aileron hinge gap on the top of the wing need to be sealed if I have mylar on the bottom gap, and if I seal the push rods on the wing root? The gap is pretty large.

Thanks!

If you get water on top of the wing, it runs down to unsealed aileron/wing gap and corrodes hinge pins. Lower seal makes sure all the water stays in the hinge line. Aerodynamically, it is probably unnecessary.