Old March 22nd 17, 08:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default Wanted: 80 mm Winter Mechanical Vario in Knots

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:28:02 AM UTC+3, Scott Williams wrote:
The previous vario I was looking at was ft/ min not knots. Anyone have an 80 mm (3 1/8") Winter Vario in Knots available ?

Contact: Tim Hanke
E-mail:
Ph: 518-693-6849

So, I understand a knot is equal to 101.2 feet per minute, is the requirement due to regulations or a non compromising desire for 'the right scale?
I completely understand either, Just wondering.

Geez .. I don't care as long as they have five UP markings and five DOWN markings and I know which is which.

It would not surprise me to learn that the manufacturer writes 1,2,3,4,5 or 2,4,6,8,10 on them without doing anything to change the calibration. I'm pretty sure the positions of the marks is the same. (some of the latter have small halfway marks too, but many don't, even from Winter themselves)

0.97/2 : 1.00 : 1.01 ... who can feel the difference?