Old March 22nd 17, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

Default Wanted: 80 mm Winter Mechanical Vario in Knots

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017 18:28:00 -0700, Scott Williams wrote:

So, I understand a knot is equal to 101.2 feet per minute, is the
requirement due to regulations or a non compromising desire for 'the
right scale?
I completely understand either, Just wondering.

I've always assumed that using knots for airspeed and ROC was done so
that you can calculate you glide ratio without doing any units
conversion. Once that's done, divide your height by 6000, multiply by
glide ratio and thats your max possible range in NM.

I don't think its that easy if any other units are used for airspeed or
ROC.

Of course, this isn't so important now everybody has GPS navigation
systems that do it for you and draw glide amoebas on the screen.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK