Old July 14th 03, 02:29 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Sydney Hoeltzli said:
Similar but not the same. For example, it doesn't indicate
if a given airport is class G or class E, far's I can tell.

What operational difference does that make? They're both uncontrolled,
right?

No, they are both untowered(*). Class E is controlled airspace, Class G
is not. From an IFR point of view, it's possible to be on an IFR
clearance in a Class E Surface Area (CESA). From a VFR point of view,
that means 1000/500/2000/3sm weather minima apply.

Operationally, that means if you're shooting an approach at the CESA
airport in IFR conditions, you're guaranteed (if everybody is playing by
the rules) that you won't find any other aircraft in flight when you
break out. If you're part-91, that may or may not matter to you (it's a
PIC decision whether you want to take the risk landing there). If
you're part-135 or 121, your op-specs may require you to be on an IFR
clearance at all times, which would preclude you from using an airport
without controlled airspace to the surface.

(*) Yes, I know, it's technically possible to have a tower at such an
airport, but it's a rare and rather strange exception.