Old April 17th 17, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Improved live tracking for the SSA membership?

I'm sorry, but you misunderstood my meaning. What I meant was: My
soaring is for me and I don't care if you or anyone else knows where I
am or not. My wife, a solo hiker knows and understands this, as well.
I suspect I'm not alone in this.

I'm all for those who want to share their experience with others. My
initial response was to the typical insult (too lazy) made by the one
who insults all who don't agree with his way of doing things.

On 4/17/2017 6:49 AM, wrote:
"... Or really just don't care."

I think this is very true - most pilots these days don't even have a crew when they go to contests. Often when they fly XC (out of site of the airport, the people on the ground don't care where their pilots have gone.

I chose to believe it is that they just don't know any better/ haven't experienced Soaring track when they are good.

My wife and our good friends wife, who are very interested my where-abouts when flying attract a crowd when they are sitting on their tablets seeing where we are and how high.

I think is is one of those things we are too lazy/unfamiliar with to not understand the benefit to the Sport and our won clubs. It is not attained with out effort and a push.

I believe the push needs to come from the SSA. If we had a year or two where most flights where tracked. If XC flights at a club level where tracked so other member could see where the more advanced pilots where going it would inspire more XC flying and more retention.

my $.02

WH

--
Dan, 5J