Old December 21st 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Electric airplane - recharged

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message
news

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
Take a look at this:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...owire.battery/

OK, it's just a laboratory development and needs to work it's way through
all the R&D to become an actual product. But, an order of magnetude
improvement? WOW!

Also, Exxon (yep, the gasoline folks) is actually bringing new lithium
battery technology to market. They are aimed at the EV/ hybrid vehicle
market.
http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1180/

Vaughn

Here's an interview with Dr. Yi Cui the Stanford researcher who made the
breakthrough. Yi seems to be saying that his work is complementary to the
Lithium Iron (LiFeP04) batteries from companies like A123 Systems. If true,
and I very much hope it is, we will get 10 hour duration electric airplanes
that recharge in minutes and electric cars with 1000 mile range. Long life,
safety, high capacity, fast charge (10 min) high current delivery, what's
not to like.

This could be, finally, the death nell for the internal combustion engine.

http://www.gm-volt.com/2007/12/21/gm...-breakthrough/