Old June 30th 04, 09:53 PM
Chris Mark

From: mithril@iafrica

Richard Perle
One of Bush's foreign policy advisors, he is the chairman of the
Pentagon's Defense Policy Board. A very likely Israeli government
agent, Perle was expelled from Senator Henry Jackson's office in the
1970's after the National Security Agency (NSA) caught him passing
Highly-Classified (National Security) documents to the Israeli
Embassy.

What happened was that an FBI tap of the Israeli embassy in 1970 (Nixon
presidency) overheard Perle who was a newbie on Scoop Jackson's staff,
discussing some classified information with a staffer at the Israeli embassy.
It was no big deal, though unwise. He wasn't kicked out of Sen. Jackson's
office; in fact, he remained an important staff member for another decade,
learning his views on foreign policy at Jackson's figurative feet.
Re the neo-con debate: Most of the so-called neo-cons are protoges of Scoop
Jackson, one of the greatest Democrats and senators we've ever had. It is a
damned shame he was not elected president in 1976 instead of Carter. Most of
Scoop's people became disgusted with the Democratic Pary under Carter and
bolted to the Republicans. They are not neo anything and certainly not
conservatives. They are FDR-Truman-Kennedy (Jack not Ted) Democrats...sort of
like Reagan. Dean Acheson would get along with them just fine.
My beef with them is that, instead of fighting to take back their party from
the Wisconsin School Carterites, they just threw up their hands and walked out.
Today's Bush foreign policy is largely in the hands of Jackson's protoges and
to that extent, Bush has become a Jack Kennedy Democrat, which I suppose causes
both sides of the political aisle to howl with horror.

Henry Kissinger

Defintely not a neo-con, as defined as a Jackson protoge. Scoop was no fan of
detente and made himself an nuisance under both Nixon and Ford, buggering up
their SALT I and trade with the Soviet plans with minor things like human
rights inside the communist bloc, nuclear parity, right of Soviet dissidents to
emigrate, etc., etc.
In 1976 Sen. Jackson, Paul Nitze, Eugene Rostow, James Schlesinger and David
Packard (such great names! such great men! just typing them out is a pleasure)
set up a group to fight detente. He was still trying to do it six years later
when Ted Kennedy and Mark Hatfield introduced nuclear freeze legislation, which
Scoop very narrowly defeated by introducing counter-legislation advocating a
freeze at 'sharply reduced levels' meaning thet the Soviets would have to
radically cut their nuclear stockpiles--which they were not about to do; they
were increasing them, and would be for years to come.

The rest of the screed is not worth bothering to respond to. Though I am
sorely tempted.

Chris Mark