Old May 23rd 20, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

Well unfortunately I was on the receiving end of a kiting occurrence just 2 days ago. The classic “series of events” precluded this event. New line guy, unfamiliar glider,
with unusual hook which no one was familiar with, new guy to the field, gusty wild winds and thermal activity, the list goes on. Anyway I actually shut the tow plane off and crawled under the glider to help the new Line guy hook it up, after about 1/2 dozen tries. The glider pilot had opened his canopy to instruct us on how to hook the rope up on this glider, we finally figure it out and I LITERALLY thought I Hope that guy latches his canopy.... in hindsight I WISH I said something when I was thinking this (seeing how this is a subject on most glider folks mind these days, and certainly on most tow pilot’s minds). Anyway off we go, it is an extremely light weight glider, like there is nothing behind you.... so we are climbing very well, and on the cross wind turn we are probably 700 feet AGL, and I see ( in my mirrors) the glider’s belly and the glider turning the opposite direction. I think,” huh, this is gonna be interesting” then I think “ doesn’t he know he HAS to release if he has lost sight of me?” (He OBVIOUSLY cannot see the tow plane). Well then the next excitement comes and shortly thereafter I am pointing about 50-55 degrees nose down, with a nice view of the industrial buildings adjacent the airport. My hand was going for the guillotine when ”Ping” the weak link did it’s job. The glider pilot declares an emergency and states his canopy is unlatched. He lands, I land, everybody is fine.. I just “need a minute” and a nice cuss word yell. He needs a new weak link, states he was flying the glider with one hand on the canopy and using the other to go back and forth between the spoilers and the stick. I was thinking “ WHILE you were on TOW? WTF”. In hindsight I assume he meant AFTER the uncommanded release.
The (so far) big take aways, when the normal process become abnormal, suggest strongly that everyone just reset and redo the checklist, preflight routines. Interruptions come in many forms. If your intuition is telling you something, listen. And of course the cardinal rule of glider flying, if you lose sight of the tow plane... RELEASE. Not negotiable.
Footnote, I am reasonably experienced in flying and towing, and this is the first time I have ever gone for the release. Like 30 plus years, thousands of tows given, hundreds taken.