Old March 1st 04, 03:07 PM
Peter R.

Default S-TEC 60-2 requires re-trim after altitude hold?

Speaking of the S-Tec 60-2, I am transitioning to a Bonanza V35B that is
equipped with this AP. The previous owner demonstrated an idiosyncrasy
with the AP that I would like to correct, if possible.

Using the AP to hold VSI, the aircraft is in a climb. Upon reaching the
assigned altitude, I push the ALT button on the AP. The aircraft, since it
overshot the altitude by 100 feet or so, descends and levels off at the
altitude where I engaged the ALT hold, then begins a speed increase to
cruise speed.

Now for the idiosyncrasy: The AP is engaged and the aircraft is holding
perfectly at the desired altitude. However, if I disengage the AP, the
aircraft immediately begins a climb, suggesting that there is a slight
nose-up trim situation that was being held back by the AP.

To overcome this, the previous owner suggested that after level-off,
disengage the AP, manually re-trim, then re-engage the AP.

How can the S-TEC AP be adjusted to hold the altitude after a climb without
the nose-up trim problem? It seems to me that, over time, this problem
could result in premature wear and tear of the AP control servos, no?

--
Peter