Old August 26th 04, 11:26 PM
Matt Whiting

Michael wrote:

Matt Whiting wrote

Can you give an example of a skill or two that you would learn from
flying a two-pilot crew that increases skill in single-pilot operation?
I can't think of one.

Delegation, for one. You can delegate to ATC, you know.

Didn't need to fly with a copilot to learn that.

I certainly have no problem asking a passenger to do something trivial
like that. I always have them hold and hand me charts, etc. However,
this is only because they are sitting on the "desk" that I normally use
to hold my charts and plates when flying alone! :-)

And if you have a passenger who is blind? Illiterate? Scared to
death?

I put them in the back seat! :-)

Personally, I wouldn't fly an approach like that. I'd tell the
controller to vector me back another time and to do it properly this
time around. I'm surprised a DE would consider this good judgement on
an ATP ride.

Perhaps it's because the axaminer was also a corporate pilot, and knew
that refusing a tight but flyable vector was a great way to be sent to
the back of the line, delaying the flight. Why have the skill to do
it if you're not going to use it? An ATP should exercise good
judgment, sure, but he should also be able to demonstrate a high level
of skill.

Well, they say that superior judgement obviates the need to use superior
skill. That is my policy.

Matt