Old January 3rd 05, 08:23 PM
nrp

The term "white gas" as used in southern US might have come from
standard oil's White Crown Gas which was of premium octane.

I think of white gas as Coleman fuel. It needs to be only a
hydrocarbon with no requirement for octane ratings etc. Maybe it would
work in small low compression engines, at least others say it will.

I had a mostly empty stored can of Coleman fuel go royally sour after
several years. Allowing the surface to be exposed to air might have
caused it. The same thing probably applies to autofuel, but maybe to a
lesser degree. Colder temps will probably also improve any fuel's
storage life.

I agree autofuel stinks, although I understand that is due to the MTBE
components allowed for octane enhancement. Ethanol laced fuels (not
permitted of course for aircraft use) will go bad in just a few months.