Old May 5th 04, 03:45 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 5 May 2004 08:18:48 -0500, "Stan Prevost"
wrote:

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:58:29 -0700, "Doug Campbell"
wrote:

Well, I hate to say this, and I may be wrong (being a Jepp chart user),

but
I think you, your instructor and the DE are all misinterpreting the NACO
chart.

Nowhere on the chart does it say to start the PT outside the 10 DME. As a
matter of fact, given the plan view restriction to remain within 10 miles
(of ILSIC), if you did not start the PT until the PRB 10 DME, you would
only have 3 miles in which to complete the PT!

The PT barb is shown where it's shown for charting convenience. But where
you start the turn is up to you, and you can start it any place after
ILSIC.

What you say is true, of course, Ron, but one does have to keep in mind that
the 3600 ft altitude restriction applies until PT completion and then 1600
ft must be lost getting back to ILSIC. That will take some distance, over 3
nm in a 90 kt spam can at 750 ft/min descent, so not beginning the PT until
past 6 DME (CFIVO) would be a good idea.

Stan

You're correct, and that gets into another issue of how best to fly that
approach. At 3NM and 90K GS one would need to descend 800 fpm. I'd
probably perform a teardrop PT on this approach, and go out far enough to
have a comfortable descent rate, given the winds.