Old March 11th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Replacing a multi-probe socket

Not being a mechanical engineer, could anyone enlighten me as to why the
o-rings are installed internally in the socket rather than externally on
the probe?Â* In either case the o-rings are getting rubbed each
installation/removal cycle and it seems light lubrication, like the skin
oil from one's nose, would work nicely. That's how I lube the probe on
my Stemme.

And, BTW, the o-rings would be oh so much easier to replace...

On 3/10/2019 7:11 PM, JS wrote:
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 5:41:10 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Yep done the outer, dental pick tool, and a Delrin rod to seat the new O-ring in place. Done outside on the ramp at an airport, and yes lots of swearing...

There's a kit labeled "TE Probe" at home. Came with one of the 27s.
Also a spare UN socket which by now could need new O-rings.
The kit is like what you describe. Not thrilled about using it without better currency at swearing in German. Perhaps time to practice on the spare one.

For a replacement... Is there a difference in serviceability between type UN, UNG and SUN sockets?
This is for a friend's DG.

There's always the possibility that any leak is the probe itself. I've seen two triple probes and a standard TE probe that didn't seal, when other probes used in the same socket did.
Thanks,
Jim

--
Dan, 5J