Old January 8th 04, 03:32 AM
Ryan Ferguson

Man. Your messages about flight training and your experimental
helicopter just give me cold chills. I'd have to agree with the
others who've suggested that you give this another thought. Do you
have kids? A family? It's not worth it, guy.

I'm not trying to disparage your helicopter in any way. And it's not
my intent to hurt yer feelings. I think it's great that you're
enthusiastic about rotary wing flight. But I read your words about
the equipment you're using, and how you're trying to shave the costs
off of your training by earning some of your solo time in your
homebuilt. Okay, first things first: 15 hours is a tiny slice no
matter what. You will not be proficient at 15 hours. You will not be
proficient at 30, and probably not 45. Even if you're amazingly
talented, you will not be ready to handle an emergency in that thing
at 75 hours. And the type of failures you're likely to encounter will
be more severe, unpredictable and vastly more difficult to counteract
than in an R-22.

Is your life really worth this? Rent an R-22! If it takes twice as
long and twice as much moolah to get your ticket, so be it! Plus you
can bring a passenger.

Side note. Forget the Scorpion for meeting solo requirements. (You
do realize you need an endorsement for that specific helicopter,
right?) No sane instructor would sign you off to solo that thing.
Lord have mercy.

-Ryan
(CFII, airplanes and helicopters)