Old August 13th 08, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Google Earth for in flight Planning?

On Aug 13, 8:41 am, terry wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:29 pm, wrote:

On Aug 13, 2:22 am, "steve" wrote:

One of my IFR instructors said another student prints out google earth
images of the route he is going to fly, to particularly look for landmarks
in unfamiliar routes and emergency landing site possibilities.

I personally haven't used it."terry" wrote in message

I have found it an a very useful supplement to my flight planning to
view my route on google earth before the flight. especially when
flying to an airport I have never been before. The visual picture of
the route and destination is just so much more real than a map. And
of course you can check the distance using the ruler function as well,
and you can also check the coords in case the numbers in the gpc or
ersa ( australia) are not correct which has been known to occur.

Any one else using this great tool?

Terry
PPL Downunder

Sectional charts are a lot more useful for pilotage than google earth
images. Those charts show things more easily visible to the pilot, and
offer an overlay of information that is directly useful for flying.
Google Earth for aviation navigation is a solution looking for a
problem.- Hide quoted text -

I think you misread the post. I use the google earth image to
familiarise myself with the route and the look of the destination
airfield in particular before the flight, not as a substitute for a
navigation chart. I also use it to check runway orientation which
is information not always readily available on unlicensed airstrips in
Australia.

Terry

Sorry, Terry, I erred in assuming you you dealing with USA airspaces.
I know nothing about documentation available in AU -- wish I had a
realistic need to know!