Old July 10th 03, 02:26 PM
Jeff Franks

Oh, I agree completely that we should do everything we can to "be a good
neighbor". Right or wrong, its stupid to rub our "right" to fly in Joe
Public's face. I just don't like the people who wanna make their own bed
and not sleep in it. The reason they bought that $200,000 house for
$120,000 is because its 2 miles off the end of a runway! (pure example
here).

Pet peeves aside, my dad built and owns a very nice grass strip airport here
in TN. He has worked his butt off to make it what it is and he built it in
the middle of nowhere. As the area has grown up around him (not bad yet),
he does all he can to make friendly with anyone and everyone around his
property. He's become the PR king! Invites all the neighbors to the
fly-ins, cookouts, makes his own approaches so that it doesn't cross over
certain houses, etc. He's even posted signs on the roads near his runway
that "alert" the passersby that there is an airport there. Hopefully it
will keep the zoning boards off of him. We'll see......