Old May 5th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Fuel Prices and their Effect on Your Flying

:
: That's what I had to explain to him... that he cannot stop me from refuelling
: my plane. I'm pretty sure that a 100 gallon tank would have to have some DOT-approved
: work to make it legal for transportation on the road. I don't know what the magic
: capacity limits, but obviously a semi trailer and a 5 gallon can in the trunk are
: subject to different rules.

: I've been told by one of my county commissioners who is also a partner
: on a 12,000 gallon self serve outfit at an airport near here as well as
: being a pilot that you have to be over 300 gallons before you have DOT
: problems. Like a lot of rural areas 100-150 gallon in-bed fuel tanks
: are everywhere here. I put mine on a trailer as I didn't like the smell
: in the garage and I needed the space in the bed for other things.

Interesting. I started looking into it at one point (talking with the fire
marshall, etc) but eventually lost interest. A trailer would be ideal since I've got
a crappy little car. Realistically however, I don't fly long distances often enough
to justify such a contraption... a few cans here and there is generally sufficient.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA *
* Electrical Engineering *