Old March 13th 18, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default cockpit exit assist for older pilots

Hey, guys this is a real problem for our senior Glider guides! I'm turning 84 this summer and it has been a real issue for a good 5 years now. In fact getting our in an airborne emergency was the reason I plunked down $5000 bucks and bought a ballistic recovery system for my Genesis-2. On the ground I push with my legs and shove with my arms till I'm far enough back to get one leg under me, then I am able to stand up in the seat.................and I'm not alone I watched a well known national champion struggle to exit his 29. Bob More (rip) had a pneumatic butt raiser that boosted him up about a foot. It had a compressed air bottle and a on/off valve that filled a bladder in the seat.
JJ