Old March 31st 18, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 9:00:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 4:52:08 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
On Monday, March 12, 2018 at 9:57:10 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Ramy,

Can you add a solar cell somewhere or replace lead/acid battery with
LiFePO4, if not already done?Â* Room for another battery?

While I don't wish to return to the sectional chart with concentric
circles and a "prayer wheel", it would be nice to have sufficient power
to drive all these new fangled contraptions.Â* Maybe I should remove the
espresso machine from my Stemme...Â* Naaah...Â* One needs one's luxuries. ;-)

On 3/11/2018 10:19 PM, Ramy wrote:
I noticed smal effect. I suspect my battery last 10% or so less than before.

Ramy

--
Dan, 5J

Already have two lifePO4 + solar panel. With all the electronics I have, which includes LX9000, powerflarm, radio, transponder, Dell Streak, and the TN72 addition, my two batteries last around 10 hours which is plenty for most of my flights. If I am running low I can selectively turn off some of the instruments to extend the time. So bottom line, you should have sufficient power even after adding ADS-B.

Ramy

Darryl and Ramy,
I just completed installation of the TN72 with proper GPS antenna on my (updated firmware) Trig 22 for my '29. If it's not too much of a hassle, how do you configure the TT22 for ASD-B out? I understand that SIL-3 should be selected in the config screen (I'm EXPERIMENTAL). What else to look for?
Thanks,
Herb J7

Herb

First, did you install a pitot pressure "squat" switch? The TT21/TT22 can use GPS ground speed (and other inputs) to guess airborne/ground determination but it can have problems in wave flight.

For a TAB/SIL=1 install you can just set the squat switch setting in the transponder to NONE, and it will be always airborne. For a 2020 Complaint/SIL=3 install, as silly as it may be in gliders, buried in CFR 14 91.227 is the need for air/ground determination and I've been recommending people just use the pressure switch from the TN70/TT22 STC kit that is available for ~$125. The set point of those switches is around 36 knots, and its a simple SPST switch plumbed between pitot and static that is used to ground pin 19? (check the transponder install manual) on the transponder connector. All of Trig's glider dealers should know how to order this kit from EDMO, and hopefully they are pointing this out as well to TN72 purchasers. Some of those glider dealers who make cables are also now including wiring for that squat switch, check with your dealer if buying cables from them. If you are sure you will never fly in wave then you could use the GPS "AUTO" squat switch setting, but transmitting ground status messages when airborne is not good and may get you attention from FSDO folks watching ADS-B performance.

I'm not sure where Trig is at on this, I was hoping they might mention this in documentation, there was some discussion about maybe improving the auto GPS based algorithm. I am not sure any vendor can get this really robust with gliders (not unless you use GPS groundspeed combined with a gear down microswitch... by which time you might as well use the pitot switch), or that the testing and development hassle is worth it. To me a better approach for all involved in gliders is just to bite the bullet and use the airspeed switch if doing a 2020 Compliant install.

With the pressure switch installed and squat switch enabled in the transponder setting turn the transponder to "ALT" and conform that the LCD display then switches from "GND" to "ALT" when the IAS passes roughly mid-high 30's knots.

I'm not sure what exact a "proper" GPS antenna is, and where it is installed? Some folk doing instal are (re)discovering that GPS antenna placement for these installs is critical. I've been warning about that, Andrzej Kobus warns about it in this very thread, and he's been through this before anybody else. Everybody installing a ADS-B Out SIL=3 install needs to be *very* careful with GPS antenna install, give that antenna the best possible placement, treat the GPS antenna install as an experiments and pull FAA ADS-B reports for multiple flights where the glider is banking steeply/thermlling and see if the system looks to be performing acceptably (esp. the NIC parameter reported), and that they have also not got other things mis configured..

Lets move further setup questions to email for now.