Old July 14th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default CAI Model 20 to OLC?

This wouldn't be a Windows issue, would it? I find lots of formerly
useful programs don't work with Windows 8 or 10.

On 7/13/2017 5:33 PM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 5:19:04 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Hey Steve,

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012. I've been roped into a couple of problems here and there over the last 5 years, but by-and-large the process seems to work for "most people most of the time". One thing that seems to crop up occasionally is Pilot Event Markers (PEVs) screwing things up. I've done some analysis, and I can't identify the root cause, but there seems to be a high correlation. So, check to see if your files have any PEVs; that could be a problem. Why there would be a PEV if you are just using the Model 20 as a passive logger (i.e. not connected to the 303 display) is a question in and of itself...

Erik Mann (P3)

Thank you, Eric. My Model 20 is hooked to an L-Nav, and a GPS Nav Display. It is possible I might have hit "GO" and made a PEV. I have seen OLC throw out a flight for changing the declared task in flight, and for power interruptions that made the logger go through its startup screens sequence (poor solder joint somewhere in old wiring and some big turbulence). The first two I lost this year are likely due to several loss of GPS signal events. Poor location in the Ka-6, and too much UV barrier in the Poly spray, I guess. This one is more puzzling to me, as I looked through the trace and I am not seeing anything that says it would be bad.

Have tried to run VALI-CAM.exe, it seems to open a DOS window that immediately closes. But, using the ClearNav conversion tool, all files have shown good security and valid conversion to making the .igc file. Will see what happens on the next flight, I guess.

Steve Leonard

--
Dan, 5J