Old November 22nd 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Tom Frey

Default OT for Kevin or anyone

"boB" wrote in message
Hey Kevin. You know a bunch about the simulators on the market today. I
may not be able to fly again for real so a simulator could help to fill in
the time. Can you lead me to some affordable simulators available,
especially for helicopter simulators. Affordable means a couple thousand
or 3....

boB

Hi boB,

Have you considered a home built sim? It's amazingly simple to link to the
PC using the game port. Four potentiometers and a game port plug, and the
rest is as simple as building a custom lawn chair. A lot of fun for just a
few bucks.

And XP will support multiple monitors. Adding one or two could give you
access to the instrument panel, horizon and perhaps birds eye view of the
craft in flight or something.

You could have a lot of fun with a good use PC and a few hundred bucks,
especially if you stuck with used monitors. When I was searching for info a
few years ago, I found one enthusiast that had built a full scale 100%
likeness of an F-16 cockpit. Over kill no doubt, but I bet he had a good
time with it.

I think I bought MS Flight Simulator, and X-Plane software for mine. Maybe
$100 a copy or so, and not bad for a home grown ship.

Food for thought,

Tom