Old February 28th 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

Default new wingtip design

Glider wings work on faith.

It's easy to have faith at 4-5000ft so the wings work well & soaring is
easy.

'Tis more difficult to have faith at 1000ft so wings work less well &
gliding is more tricky.

Much below 1000ft I lose all faith & land shortly after.

This assumes UK feet where 5000 is "High" not American / Australian / South
African feet where 5000 is "Low".

KN

At 15:36 28 February 2015, John Firth wrote:
At 04:59 28 February 2015, Paul Villinski wrote:
As a non-scientist/engineer, it baffles me that we are able to build
amazin=
gly sophisticated airplanes, yet, as the lecturer demonstrates, there i

=
huge amount of confusion over how to explain why a wing produces lift

and
=
many of our common assumptions are simply wrong, i.e., the reason(s) for
ac=
celerated airflow over the top surface (which intuitively has never made
se=
nse to me). Engineers designing airplanes are themselves still arguing
over=
whether it's more about Bernoulli or the downward-turning force o

Coanda
=
effect. Yet, I'm still able to get from one coast to another at 35,000
feet=
traveling at 600 mph, while sipping coffee and watching a movie.

A reasonable parallel is the dual nature of light, which can be treated a
both wave and particle. Both models
explain the result.

John Firth