Old November 19th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Glider Simulator Training at the USAFA

On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 7:26:04 PM UTC-8, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Thursday, November 15, 2018 at 6:17:13 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Not sure about their logic of using an aircraft apparently less conducive to the intended task.
Congratulations on finding a way to help overcome that incongruity.

If your KPI is to get students to one solo tow and sled ride to a safe landing on a dead calm day and then never set foot in a glider again then, yeah, the 2-33 is probably superior.

Otherwise I'd take the DG1000 every time.

Bruce, not sure how much time you have in 2-33's, I only have maybe ten hours, but these are great training aircraft. Full disclosure, I learned in glass G103/ASk21. The 2-33 will go up on a winter day when not much else will. The gliderport I fly from has both G103's and 2-33's. The instructors tell me that they can train a student through check ride then transition them to a G103/G102 in less time, tows, money than it take to train someone in a G103 to check ride. My localglider port is a mountainous area with high winds, wave, ridge, thermal, 2-33's fly everyday. I have been told that if you send one back to factory to rebuild the mixer is changed to give more control movement with less stick movement. Colorado Springs is a mountain location and the Air Force had a higher solo rate with 2-33's. I have no financial interest in Schweitzer or anything else for that matter