Old December 28th 03, 06:42 PM
Tom Pappano

Judah wrote:
Hi Tom,
Your point is well taken, but in many ways does little to support an
argument for carrying a weapon. If a drugged-up assailant will not hesitate
to shoot an innocent person even in front of a police officer, what makes
you think the victim would have been in any better position had he had a
gun in his pocket?

I believe there are an inordinate number of variables, and it is difficult
to predict with any accuracy whether, for example, the bicyclist would have
been able to save himself from the robber if he had been carrying a weapon.
Just as the robber clearly didn't hesitate to shoot him dead, I suspect the
victim would have hesitated - whether to retrieve the weapon to defend
himself, or because of his own conscience and sober position.

I mentioned this case more as an example of how insensitive attackers
seem be these days, rather than as a tactical study. 8-) There
are *tons* of stories available that support defensive firearm use.

Lots of info at: http://www.nraila.org/ArmedCitizen/Default.aspx

Furthermore, your example of the Doctor who was able to kill his attacker
only because the attacker's gun misfired could be construed as evidence
that without this bit of luck, the Doctor would be dead instead of the
attacker - .22 pistol or not.

The doc shot first, then the fugitive tried to retaliate.
A web search for "Scott Eizember" will pull up several detailed
accounts of the whole story.
Or try this one: http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/1103/111537.html

It is not a clear issue, and I still feel slightly safer without a gun in
my home. I would feel safer yet if the gun control laws in my state allowed
anyone but convicted criminals to own and carry concealed weapons, so long
as they were properly registered and properly secured.

Tell your legislators you want the laws changed, or consider moving to
Oklahoma- we would be glad to have you! We also have lots of
airports and modestly priced rental airplanes.

Oh, and my point about sleeping with a gun was a bit of a dig at the OP who
indicated that without his wife's objection, he would take his gun to bed
with him...

Thats ok, in the meantime, see if you can find a copy of "What Do
You Do When You Can't Call a Cop?" by Janice Seifert. This is a
great little book by a 5'2" 110 lb deputy who realized men, women
and children could benefit by learning some simple and effective
street fighting skills. Statistically, you fare better when you
resist, armed or not. This book shows you how you can prevail when
outsized, outnumbered, even outgunned.

Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA