Old April 16th 04, 05:35 AM
Journeyman

In article , Michael wrote:
"C J Campbell" wrote

[value of aerobatic training]
You hear this bit of wisdom a lot, but I am beginning to question it. I will

Something about this post bothered me, but Michael hit it on the head...

real value is that the the aerobatically trained pilot will generally
see the upset coming a mile away and never allow it to happen in the
first place. Aerobatics demands that you learn to fly entirely
without instruments, because in aerobatic attitudes none of them are
reliable. It demands that you learn to feel the airplane, instead of
just flying the numbers. The first time you feel the bite of the

Granted, I haven't done any aerobatics yet (it's on the to do list), but
I do remember vividly being close to my private pilot checkride,
demonstrating a stall. The wing started getting out from under me and
I was on the rudder before I even realized what was happening. I'm sure
it's because of the spin training that was required for the Canadian
private pilot. It becomes visceral.

Morris