Old July 31st 03, 05:36 PM
Marty Ross

Default VFR On Top

I thought that "VFR On Top" requires all of the same reports as regular IFR
(include altitude changes). Perhaps this is only for non-radar
environments?

I thought the ONLY time you didn't have to advise ATC of change in altitude
on an IFR clearance was when flying within an assigned vertical block on a
"cruise clearance".

Also, as if to add to the confusion, it appears to me that the term "IFR
Over The Top" is used by the FAR instead of "VFR On Top" (see FAR Part 1.1:
"definitions"). I only find reference to "VFR On Top" in the AIM (5-5-5).
Perhaps that's why it takes some controllers an extra second to catch on...

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Angelo Campanella" wrote in message

Right. Think of it as a single term, VFRONTOP, having special

significance. In
particular, it means two things:

1-You are assuring that you will stay in vfr horizontal visbility

condidtions so
that you assure your own collision avoidance.

Vertical as well, VFR cloud clearance applies.

2-The altitude you hold shall be 500 feet off the nearest thousand, you

may
choose that altitude, but you must advise ATC of the altitude you choose

and are
holding. (Hardly "VFR", isn't it?!)

You must be at an appropriate VFR cruising altitude for the direction of
flight, there is no requirement to advise ATC of that altitude.