Old October 22nd 04, 05:18 AM
Robert M. Gary

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message ink.net...
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
m...

The other day I wanted to get a clearance to get above an overcast
while in cruise. When I asked for a clearance the controller said it
would be awhile because my destination was more than 500 miles away.

Did you request an IFR clearance to that destination?

No, I said I need to pick up an IFR to climb above an overcast. He
asked me my dest. I told him. He said it would take 15 minutes or so
to get a clearance that far. I told him I would cancel on top. He said
it didn't make a difference he needed to get the clearance all the way
down. This was just south of SeaTac and I was going to California.

He said he needed to get me a clearance all the way there even though
my intention was to cancel on top.

Did you tell him you intended to cancel once in VFR conditions above the
clouds?

Yes

The controller than mentioned that
he could issue me a clearance to VFR-on-top w/o the entire route
clearance. I did that and it worked perfectly. I learned something.

He could also give you an IFR clearance without the entire route clearance.
If you did cancel upon reaching VFR conditions above the clouds you were
never operating VFR-on-top.

He gave me an IFR clearance "to VFR-on-top". He said that issuing the
clearance that way allowed him to not have to wait for the clearance
to go through Oakland Center (or whatever).