Old August 5th 03, 04:53 AM
Brash

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

David Bromage wrote:

The RAAF's 35 F-111 warplanes - Australia's front-line strategic strike
force - could be retired from service from 2006, a decade earlier than
originally planned, if the Government accepts a controversial option put
forward by the Defence Department. A key issue is whether early
retirement for the long-range F-111s could leave a gaping hole in
Australia's front-line defences early next decade.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55E601,00.html

Exactly who does Australia intend 'striking' ?

Ships and various targets belonging to "the enemy". I would have thought
that was self-evident.

Why shouldn't a 60's design a/c be scrapped ?

Because its still better at what it does than anything else for its cost.

Which country does Australia reckon it needs 'front-line a/c' to defend

itself from ?

The one that decides it can threaten us or our interests.

In the unrealistic above event how would ancient F-111s perform ?

Better than a JSF without in-flight refuelling.

--
De Oppresso Liber.

Yawn......

Graham