Old April 2nd 05, 08:33 PM
Scott

I knew I shoulda bought 4 complete cylinders for mine when Fresno had
them for something like $499 each several months ago. But, they're gone
now! Someone probably bought them all up to have a monopoly on those as
well...bummer. Yes, I wish Continental still made the A-65 and the
C-85, but I doubt they will retool and start making them again. Just
like I am still waiting for the return of 80 Octane so I wouldn't have
had to buy the new valves that I did a couple weeks ago...

I disagree that 1000 is it for the lower end. These little Continentals
are just one step below tractor engines and look how long those tractor
engines run

Scott
(Presently with a Corben with an A-65 attached and no cylinders on --
taking them in Monday for overhaul/conversion to 100 Octane)

wrote:
$1500-2,000 if you can find one. Careful, though, the market has its
share of scammers.

You can find good deals on C-85's, C-90's, and O-200's too.

Superior makes cylinders for the sweet little A-65 ($3500 for four,
last I checked), but other parts are hard to come by, and the new parts
you need are sold by sources who know by their prices they have a near
monopoly-- Fresno, Captain Woody (TAP), and one or two more.

The last A-65 I rebuilt had almost $10,000 in new and rebuilt parts in
it. Then I had to put it together and then take it back apart because
the front seal leaked. Yellow-tag crankshafts are getting rare. Good
exhaust valves are $100 apiece. Hydraulic units and lifters, cams, new
springs, rocker arms, pushrods, connecting rods and rod bolts,
crankcases, oil pumps and rear cases --- these things are hard to find
by scrounging any more. Then you want logs and a decent tag on the case
too.

I wouldn't advise you to install a run-out engine. Those old run-out
things will suck a valve and put you in the trees. And I doubt you can
get much more than a thousand hours out of a rebuilt A-65 before the
bottom end starts to get loose.

They are such wonderful little engines. It's a shame Continental
doesn't build them any more. Somebody ought to.

Good luck!