View Single Post
Old April 19th 19, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

OK......a reply down the thread.......

Chewing on this a bit........

My basic comment.....if you are rusty enough to totally blow a pattern, I think you are rusty enough to NOT do a 360 late in the pattern.....

I basically have NO issues with doing a 360* pattern approach (sorta common for US aviation military) or current GA pilots......
Being "OMG" high for a non-current pilot (ANY kind) on final.....you have already sorta proved you are rusty...thus you are adding to that by doing a 360 on final.......
Can we say "another statistic"?!?!?!

Part of me states.......complacency.......
Good example?
The Snowbird at HHSC every fall.
Some peeps do well.
Others "have to practice".......!!!!
Why?
The basics are......energy management in a known environment.
What is the issue?

Go look up the rules for the HHSC Snowbird rules......anybody doing XC should do well in the comp......sheesh......anybody close to PPG or above should do well.....power guys should be close....
I have seen too many peeps used to, "Land somewhere, peeps will push us back...." is total BS....!!!!
Every landing is to a point, end up where you need to be........
Period......

Yes......poop happens, way too many "stupid broken stuff" based on complacency.......
Yes, I help fix some "stupid stuff"...,,,,,

Yes, I agree with T8 and some others here.
I have stated some of what I do/recommend.
I will assume some peeps here think I am a "butthead" which may be true (for various reasons.....) but worst I have done in decades is pull glass gear door rivets in sorta tall crop p,us lots of grass stains.
I have no clue on how many off airport landings I have done from 1-26 to ASG-29.

OK.....let the poop storm start....I have my Nomex suit on....I don't care other than......
Don't hurt the ship.....peeps are OK.
Period.