Old April 22nd 19, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

On Thursday, April 18, 2019 at 2:05:10 PM UTC-5, Tango Whisky wrote:
Yes. Anytime.

This isn't intended to come across as a "I told you so", but educational for those who predicted that a steep full spoiler approach will put you into the far fence at high speed.

Arcus M, 1650 lbs. starting out close to the same spot as the first video and also 1,200 ft MSL (field elevation 300) and I had to close spoilers almost fully to clear the 20' high power lines on the approach end of the "extension" at SCOH. I adjusted pitch just a tad and ballooned before touchdown but total distance over the 20' wires was approximately 1,400 ft and without significant braking my landing roll was on the order of 700-800ft per Google Earth.

I will try this again, but starting much higher and post again. With full spoilers and modest increase in airspeed you can scrub a lot of altitude. Recommended to be tested at altitude first.

Video at the following link:

https://youtu.be/2-KiGtSbkMA

Mark