Old January 11th 04, 06:07 AM
I M 4 U

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:50:06 GMT, "dan"
wrote:

Hi group
Have found the aircraft of my dreams. Has a decent cruise , short take off
and landings and a dependable VW engine.
Am looking for anyone that has any knowledge of the Cygnet (name means young
swan) or is interested in the aircraft.

TldrgrDan

Here's a recent VW report......

List message posted by: "Jack"

The Sonex crash details...... so others may benefit from my
misfortune:

I installed a VW Type 4 engine in the Sonex (see
www.jacklockamy.com/Engine.html) . The engine conversion kit I
purchased from Great Plains Aircraft Supply who specializes in VW
conversions for aircraft. The Force One prop hub disconnected from
the crankshaft while I was taking off and at 400 FT AGL over the
departure end of the runway at Oxnard Airport on 9/8/02. I had 100.2
hours on the engine/prop.

Landing straight ahead was nasty.... lemon grove (at that
time....today the field is plowed dirt and level....). Looked to my
LT and there was the parallel taxiway. Looked better than the orchard
and despite hearing the voices, "land straight ahead... never turn
back", I went for it. Immediately notified the tower of the engine
failure and intentions to land on the taxiway. Turned LT... tried to
get lined up on the taxiway and made it around through 160 degrees of
turn when the LT wingtip caught dirt next to the taxiway. I hit the
ground at approx. 85 MPH which was the Best Glide Speed for the Sonex.
I was very aware of the 'stall/spin' occurances in this situation,
thus I was locked into the 85 MPH glide speed and kept the turn as
smooth as possible. Just didn't have enough altitude to get that last
20 degrees of turn....

Plane cartwheeled, and I was ejected from the cockpit. I was only
wearing the lapbelts (which held) and not the sholder harness. Bad
mistake! I was literally "sucked" out of the lapbelt and ejected
through the plexiglass canopy and thrown/slid 135 FT from impact.
Plane then proceeded to roll over me before it stopped approx 165 FT
from the point of impact. During the post accident investigation, the
FAA inspector confirmed the seatbelt was still buckled and intact in
the plane. The Sonex is a very strong design. Probably saved my
life.

Broken nose, broken ribs, punctured/collasped RT lung, broken LT hand,
50 or so stitches in the face, dislocated LT hip/leg, and MASSIVE
amounts of 'road rash' from sliding on the asphalt pavement. All in
all... a very bad day. But I survived!!!

Airplane was totaled. Spent a week in ICU. I was out of work for 8
weeks. Great Plains Aircraft had another builder experience the same
prop hub failure a week later. That engine builder was fortunate in
that his plane was tied down and the prop ended up in splinters about
8-10 FT out in front of the plane. He had approx 80 hours on his
plane/engine. Great Plains has since issued a Service Bulletin on
the VW Type 4 crankshaft they were machining and no longer recommend
it. They now recommend the SCAT Type 4 crankshaft which is machined
differently for the prop hub attachment.

Lessons learned..... have full coverage insurance and ALWAYS wear the
sholder harnesses!!! Oh.... and time passes very quickly when you
have an in-flight emergency.

Jack "installing a lycoming"