Old January 18th 05, 10:59 PM
bk

I learned in a Cherokee and bought into a 182 partnership. The
transition issues had to do with more complexity, somewhat different
handling, and general low-time lack-of-experience on my part. I don't
think there were any issues related to where the wings are (except
learning to duck when approaching the wings and figuring out just where
to put the stepladder to check the fuel.) I like the 182's ample
headroom, but I prefered the Cherokee's manual flaps (although those
electic flaps on the 182 are mighty effective.) The Cherokee has better
visibility for piloting, but the 182 provides a mesmerizing view of the
ground for passengers (and pilots if not careful). The 182's wing
provides more useful shade than the Cherokee's wing does, but it's
easier to check the gas on the low-wing.

For me, the type of plane was secondary. I bought into the 182 because
I knew people who knew the original owner of the plane, the entire
history of the plane was known since it was new, the other partners are
well known around the airport and have excellent integrity. I didn't do
a pre-buy for I had no fear problems were being covered up or even
not-noticed due to negligence (of course, the unexpected could always
happen) and there have been no surprises.

You don't want the wrong plane for your mission, but I think there are
factors beyond the type of airplane that are important in the purchase
decision.

- Bruce

Jack Allison wrote:
I find myself in the position of having just under 200 hours in

Cessna
172s/152s (99% C-172 time), approximately 9 hours in an Archer, and

in
the process of making an offer on an Arrow. So, I'm well on my way

from
being a high wing to low wing convert. I'm wondering how many other
folks out there did their primary training with the wing on the top

then
switched to flying (or even better, buying) one with the wing on the
bottom...or even the other way around? Any issues, likes/dislikes

about
the transition?