Old December 6th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

Default OT Airliner Control Wheel

"BobP" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:41:26 -0600, "tscottme"
wrote:

727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number
"dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/forsale/forsale.html
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/trip1.jpg
"727,737,747 trip number reminder.
That's a lie that has become sort of fact by accident.
Started out as an ALTITUDE reminder, so most of these start at #4 in
the left column and go no higher.
You know why don't you? When it was realized that this thing cost the
airlines about $400 each,
but exactly ZERO pilots ever used them, they added the 5-0 digits and
called them trip number reminders.
Number of pilots that used it for that...ZERO. We usually only sell
these with the purchase of a wheel for $100.
This one has one cog that's broken so we're offering it for $50. Works
ok, just not 100% nice."

Thank you. I suspected it was some sort of reminder device and possibly not
wired into some system.

--

Scott

What's the difference between California voters and the passengers on the
Titanic?
- The passengers on the Titanic didn't vote to hit the iceberg. (Dennis
Prager)