Old April 2nd 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ADF and GPS equip %

"Peter" wrote in message ...

"John R. Copeland" wrote

An RMI presentation, with the ADF pointer on an HSI, not only provides
the positional awareness Jose praises, but it also vaporizes much of
Roy's concern about difficulties in teaching NDB approaches.
The examiner can't demand an NDB approach without the HSI,
and the RMI presentation makes NDB approaches very intuitive.
HSIs are extremely nice instruments, either stand-alone or in PFDs.

I am not sure where an HSI comes into NDBs. I think you mean an RMI.
No HSI I know of can show a track error from an NDB. It can do VOR,
LOC, or GPS. Perhaps you mean an EHSI like the Shadin or Honeywell?

I said "...an ADF pointer on an HSI..."
The RMI presentation is then integrated with the HSI.
That references the ADF pointer to compass directions *and* heading.
In fact, my HSI is magnetically slaved, which is even another nice feature.
It's part of my Collins FD101 Flight Director.