Old July 15th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Jay Honeck

Default Heart trouble

Ah, guys. Really. No need to argue about whether people want to be
helpful or not. I will end up following my doctor's advice anyway.

Sorry to hear about all this, CJ. It's funny, we all feel so
invulnerable, yet in reality we're just a heartbeat away from being
grounded.

Just last week a friend of mine -- an A&P mechanic and pilot -- was
driving down I-380 with his family when his headache became much
worse, and he lost control of the left side of his body.

He was able to pull over, and his wife called 911. He was conscious
the whole time, but sounded drunk because he couldn't make his mouth
work right.

The first responders were a police unit, who (being July 4th)
immediately suspected drunk driving. Only the paramedics were able to
determine that he was having a stroke, and whisked him to the
hospital.

With immediate treatment he recovered (he was back at work three days
later, against doctors orders) amazingly quickly, but he won't be
flying again any time soon. (Last year he had a mild heart attack --
he's only 42, and isn't over-weight.)

Hang in there, CJ.
--
Jay Honeck