Old July 15th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

Default Heart trouble

MS

My HMO only pays for generic (if there is one) and they give me
Coumadin??????????????

Big John

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:53:28 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

Viperdoc wrote:
Coumadin is the chemical name, while Warfarin was the trade name. It derived
from Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, where the drug was first
investigated.

Have I lost my mind? Here's something from the prescribing information page of:

http://www.bms.com/cgi-bin/anybin.pl...SEQ=91&key=PPI

DESCRIPTION

COUMADIN (crystalline warfarin sodium) is an anticoagulant which acts by
inhibiting vitamin K-dependent

coagulation factors. Chemically, it is 3-(-acetonylbenzyl)-4-hydroxycoumarin and
is a racemic mixture of the

R- and S-enantiomers. Crystalline warfarin sodium is an isopropanol clathrate.
The crystallization of warfarin

sodium virtually eliminates trace impurities present in amorphous warfarin. Its
empirical formula is C19 H15 NaO4,

and its structural formula may be represented by the following:

Looking at this, it sure looks like warfarin is the generic name and Coumadin is
the brand name. At least to me....