Old November 24th 04, 08:59 PM
Mike Stringfellow

I raised the same question when recently recertifying to overcome
restrictions on my foreign licence.

As far as I can tell, the FAA requires you to log all flights whether
or not these are cross-country flights. Cross-country hours for
glider flights appears on FAA application forms and is obviously
relevant (even though it's not a requirement for a US glider rating).
However, there is no definition of glider cross-country other than
that in 61.1, which requires a landing at a field other than the
departure one.

I pointed out to my local FSDO that glider cross-country flights
normally do not involve a landing at other than the departure point,
so how do we log them? They told me that if I was flying out of
gliding range of my home field, I could consider that a cross-country
flight in a glider and log it that way. However, only cross-country
flights that involve a landing away from home can be used for airplane
or rotorcraft ratings (25 or 50 miles). you need to make sure you log
this too.

This is a gray area open to interpretation, so expect dfferent answers
depending on who you ask.

Mike

ASW 20 (& Cessna 172)