Old December 21st 03, 09:47 PM
fudog50

Hey John, I'll bet Larry has drank and worn more Tomcat "petrol" than
you ever will, and I'm pretty dam sure he knows what JP-4, JP-5 and
JP-8 is, so he can call it gas/petrol/fuel, whatever he wants!!!! I'm
with you Larry, kinda hard not to be a smart ass about that question,
ain't it?.... I used to shoot mode 4 while the Tomcats were in this
"cat retract" profile, always had bad results from the ground plane of
the big metal carrier deck and the lower IFF antenna, had to wait
till they went to "cat extend" to get a good shoot with the APM-424. ,
same with the E2/C2's.

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:23:55 +0000, John Mullen
wrote:

Larry wrote:

It never occurred to me, is the ground clearing enough for
the Tomcat to land on an aircraft carrier with fuel tanks
like this?

I'll try to refrain from being wise (although I was really tempted on this
one).

Question: Isn't that photo taken on a carrier? Answer: Yes

Question: So how did it get there? Answer: Landed there (yes, with those
tanks).

They do appear rather large, but the shock strut only retracts a little more
(on landing impact) than shown in the photo.

Them there Tomcats are VERY thirsty so they need all the petrol they can
git!

They don't use petrol.

John