Old September 14th 16, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marcin S

Default Good sailplanes for tall pilots?

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 7:19:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I am 6'4" tall. I weigh about 200-210lbs clothed. My height is fairly evenly distributed between legs and torso. My arms are rather long, though.
Please help me start developing a shopping list for a decent glider that I can enjoy owning and flying without cramps or impeded control movements. This would be my first foray into ownership, but I expect to own multiple in the future.

Factors to consider:
1. Prefer 2-place to single-seat, but I'm open to both.
2. If 2-place, must be FAA type-certified with standard airworthiness certificate. No experimentals. I want to be able to give commercial rides, instruction, and CAP cadet o-rides. Solo ships can be experimental, but not amateur-built.
3. Will consider self-launchers, sustainers, and motorgliders, but not looking to get into that price range.
4. Will consider antiques & open cockpits, if they have a provenance.
5. Not concerned with competition.
6. Acro would be a plus.
7. Will consider something life-limited (e.g., Lark) if I can get it super-cheap to use as a disposable platform for a couple hundred hours to better identify what I really want from a glider.
8. Priced under $30k, $10-15k is better.

My experience:
Highly active airplane pilot, IFR, 1000+ hours. Low-time glider pilot (100 hrs).

Here's what I have flown:
L-23: Fits okay, not very charming to own.
ASK-21: Tight, but doable
G103: Tighter than the ASK-21, prefer to avoid
Bergfalke: Antique wooden open-cockpit novelty; not a candidate.

I'll be trying out a SGS 1-23 and an LS-1f this weekend. There are several KA-6 models for sale all over right now (did they just get hit with an AD or something?), so some targeted opinions on these 3 would be timely.

Cheers

Hi,

I have a Jantar Std 2 that has a very long cockpit. It has 6 adjustment points for the seat back and I fly on number 4 and I am 6 ft and weigh 215 lbs. I am sure you can easily fit.

The glider is available for sale and you can see some pictures he https://goo.gl/photos/UEKBzcrxa9PZNGQs7

Here is a link to my olc flights: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...t=olc&pi=56048

and a video of a flight a while ago: https://youtu.be/MPw29q5XuKE

Thanks,