Old October 3rd 04, 01:44 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
This spring, my club bought a 1973 200 HP Arrow with about 500 hours on
the engine. Shortly after we bought it, we had to replace several
cylinders and one piston (I'm not sure of the details of why they needed
to be replaced).

The oil pressure always indicates at the low end of the green arc
(almost into the yellow) and the oil temperature is always at the high
end, usually just barely below red line. We keep the oil level between
6 and 7 quarts, and use about a quart every 3 or 4 hours of operation.
If it ever gets below 6 quarts, it runs even hotter.

The maintenance guys say there's nothing wrong, insisting that as long
as the gauges are in the green arcs, there's nothing to worry about. In
my mind, being constantly just shy of redline, even if it's still in the
green arc, can't be a good thing. Should I be concerned?

We've got a 180 HP Arrow which always operated with the oil pressure and
temperature needles right in the middle of the green arcs. Do the 200
HP models just normally run hotter?

When was the last time the oil cooler was serviced? They do corrode
internally and/or fill up with gunk over the years. Also, the fins get bent
or filled with bug carcasses. Maybe a clean-up, boil-out, or replacement is
due. Worst case, a new oil cooler is *only* $500 or so, plus installation.

Someone else mentioned to check your baffles. Replace any worn gap seal,
patch cracks, and fill any remaining gaps with RTV. Good idea and doesn't
cost much at all.

Nobody (yet) has mentioned that your mechanic may be able to adjust your oil
pressure by adjusting the setting on the oil pressure relief valve. Once
the cowl is off, this can be done in about 15 minutes. It is possible that
the setting is already at the highest adjustment possible, but you won't
know without looking.

KB