Old August 16th 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Wrobel

Default Nephi wrap-up

While looking at my flights on OLC for the Nephi Camp I decided to look at everyone's flights and their comments and put together some statistics (based on flights logged into OLC) and my own comments on the great flights and fun times we all had at Nephi.

Number of pilots: 30
Total flights flown: 104
Total distance flown: 46,284 km
Average distance flown: 445 km
Number of flights over 500 km: 39
Number of flights over 750 km: 7

Even though from the beginning there was only to be daily awards for OLC points and task speeds I thought it would be interesting to see the cumulative OLC distances for the top pilots just to show the potential of flying at Nephi. Just remember that the total distances flown are affected by the number of days each pilot flew.

Average flight distance (over 500 km)
629 km Tim Taylor
607 km Bruno Vassel
579 km Joerg Stieber
569 km York Zentner
566 km Nicholas Kennedy
562 km Dan Wrobel
538 km Eric Greenwell
517 km Andy Blackburn
511 km Tom Bjork

Total distance flown during the camp (over 2000 km)
3939 km Dan Wrobel
3472 km Joerg Stieber
3145 km Tim Taylor
3034 km Bruno Vassel
2996 km Bob Farris
2828 km Nicholas Kennedy
2278 km York Zentner
2068 km Andy Blackburn
2043 km Tom Bjork

Wow, that is a lot of flying!!

For those that think that you have to have high performance glider to fly long distances, here are three notable flights:

530 km Blake Seese Laister Nugget LP-15
521 km Adam Kite Jantar Standard
498 km Johann Posch Grob 103 - Nice going Johann!!

Here are the flights over 750 km:

809 km Bruno Vassel
804 km Tim Taylor
776 km Nicholas Kennedy
765 km Bruno Vassel
763 km Dan Wrobel
758 km Joerg Stieber
753 km Bruno Vassel

Way to go guys!!

There were several pilots that flew badge flights and a couple that flew Utah state record flights:

Shawn Eggleston Gold distance
Charles Gillespie Diamond goal
Dan Wrobel Diamond distance

Bob Farris 100 km speed triangle
Bob Farris 200 km speed triangle
Bob Farris Distance to goal
Dan Wrobel 500 km out and return

Here are some of my observations about the event:

Scenery is spectacular!!
Conditions were outstanding (not counting the funnel cloud, thunder, lightning,rain, snow and 20 kt crosswind
Thermal strength was great - I heard up to 17kt but the best I saw was 12kt..
Flying area had lots of airports and farmer's fields al long as you don't venture too far out into the desert.
The many field around the airport made crosswind landings a cinch even if it is a short retrieve.
Lots of cold toes - need to bring warmer shoes if you are going to spend all day at 15k to 18k.
I had a lot of fun flying with York Zentner's 17.6m "Mega" winglets - really nice having that extra L/D when coming back from way out and the paint job is beautiful - may have caused some "winglet envy"
Great support from the local community- City Mayor, County Commissioner and local businesses - free T-shirts, coupons, prizes, water, hangar, wifi, photographer, etc.
The food prepared by the Lion's Club was outstanding.
Although I was out flying at the time, the way everyone came together to help out during the funnel cloud episode was commendable.
I really was amazed by the newspaper and TV coverage that brought out hundreds of spectators that maybe will result in getting some new people involved in the fantastic sport of soaring.
It was great that we had three of the club's Grobs down for the event and I think that they were all flown each day with two people aboard.
Great support by the Club.
Great service by the tow pilots.
Great support by the volunteers - CD. ground crew, weather, etc.
The comments on OLC and in person were virtually all positive towards the event. I think everyone had a great time.

I want to especially thank Bruno for spending the untold hours and dollars putting together this event. Without him, it wouldn't have happened. I had more fun at this event than any of the contests I have been to (not to say that I don't have fun at contests) and if a similar event occurs again I will be sure to go.

Dan Wrobel - DW