Old February 2nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross

Default Cold Weather PreHeating

pgbnh wrote:
Now that winter has finally arrived in the Northeast, it is time to enjoy
the benefits of cold, dense air. wow - I wish I could see those climb rates
in August.

But anyway, what's the common wisdom on preheating. Granted, in an ideal
world, preheating is probably a good idea anytime it's below 40, but it IS a
pain for those of us who are forced to tie down outside and have no access
to electricity. At what temperature point are you comfortable starting
WITHOUT a preheat? (If it matters, this is for a Lyc IO360 that will start
easily down to about 10 deg).

Any mechanics care to comment on what they have seen happen to engines which
have routinely been started cold?

I plug in my preheater when the temperature is less that 40F. It has
about 300 hours on since factory OH. I put a blanket on the cowl and
seal the front openings. I also put a drop light on the rudder pedals to
let the warm air heat the gyros. My plane is in an unheated hangar.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP