Old May 3rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

Default How do you do a hold on a 530W?

In a previous article, said:
Not sure if you are aware of it, but Paul alludes to a new capability of
the W-units, which will actually fully guide you through a published hold
or turn (including the "bent" part of the track) - something the
non-W-units can't do. His question is whether this can be set up for a
non-published hold.

Just so we're clear here, I did my homework before asking here. I
couldn't find it in the manual, and the two entries in the index for
"holds" were about the approach and missed approach holds, nor could I
figure out anything with the 530W simulator.

Also, unlike the simulator, our GPS isn't hooked into the CDI so that
twisting the CDI affects the OBS setting. I wish the simulator allowed
you to simulate that setup as well. I also wish the simulator didn't
constantly have the MSG showing "Don't use this for navigation" - I'm not
mxmanic, I know the difference between a computer and an airplane, thank
you very much.

(BTW: Has anybody figured out how to install the simulator on Linux using
Wine/Crossover Office? I tried and failed.)

--
Paul Tomblin
http://blog.xcski.com/