Old July 30th 08, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC - actual information

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation
or terrain warning is provided.

FAA policy is to provide separation to VFR aircraft while conducting
practice instrument approaches where it is practical to do so. Generally,
that means Class D airspace or higher with good radar coverage.

Some local data points.

I flew three practice approaches tonight (7/29).

#1 - LDA 2 into KHFD. BDL Approach specifically stated "remain VFR".
HFD Tower called out so much traffic, I couldn't call my missed. None
of the traffic was anything near IFR separation.

#2 - ILS 5 to KGON. PVD Approach stated "Remain VFR, no traffic
separation provided" KGON tower controller seemed pretty bored, I was
the only thing around.

#3 - VOR-A to KIJD. PVD Approach stated "Remain VFR, no traffic
separation provided after ORW VOR." He did have me keep the squawk all
the way to the airport, even after switching to CTAF.

On the funny side... PVD was providing advisories to a guy who would
launch into a 5 minute dissertation with each traffic call! G The
guy narrated the current position in relation to his aircraft as the
traffic passed. He would also keep coming back and update approach on
the position once he passed it! Haven't heard that before!