Old January 15th 04, 05:54 PM
William W. Plummer

"Chad Munroe" wrote in message

I'm in the process of taking flying lessons and working toward my
license. Does anyone in this NG fly their private plane for a
business commute? If so, is it possible to get tax deductions for
travel expenses? I'm just thinking ahead.
Out of curiosity, how many here have an accountant for taxes, and
how many file on their own? I've used an accountant for years, but
most people I know do it online now. I'm trying to decide if I
should switch this year.

Commuting is not deductible. However, on US Government contracts, travel is
reimbursed at a published rate, NOT TO EXCEED the customary commercial
travel rates. See www.dtic.mil under "personal aircraft use". I believe
the rate is $0.965 per mile (SM or NM?). But SWAir will get to to FL from
Bonston for $79.

Once again we discover that flying cannot be justified. You have to do it
because you really like it. Flying a small plane is an end in its own.